Provenance – donors, previous owners, etc.
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Canterbury Cathedral Library donors
A chronological list of provenance evidence relating to the history of Canterbury Cathedral and its Library before c. 1900
- Benefactors' Book (CCL Lit. MS E40)
- John and William Somner
Entries in Canterbury Cathedral's Donors' Book, c. 1665, recording gifts of books to the new library by the antiquarian William Somner and his brother John. With translations and notes.
- Books owned by William Somner
A list of books with ownership inscriptions or manuscript annotations by William Somner, mainly from the collection purchased from his widow in 1669.
- Books given to William Somner by Meric Casaubon
Illustration and transcription of Somner's annotation in one of his books.
- Jonas Owyn and Archbishop Juxon
In 1668 the Rev. Jonas Owyn, Rector of Sibertswold cum Colred (Sheperdswell with Coldred), gave the Cathedral Library his copy of the Douai Bible in which he had recorded Archbishop Juxon's contribution to the rebuilding of the Library.
- Armorial bindings
- British Armorial Binding Stamps Database
- Book bindings with coats of arms in the collections of the Dean and Chapter in Canterbury Cathedral Library
- Names of previous owners of books in Canterbury Cathedral Library printed before 1801.
A provisional list of 3152 former owners, based on the provenance index published in the microfiche catalogue of the Cathedral's books printed before 1801 (David Shaw and Sheila Hingley (and others), Canterbury Cathedral Library: Catalogue of pre-1801 printed books. Adam Matthew Publications, Marlborough, 1998. 24 pp + 17 microfiches).
Web pages hosted by the Consortium of European Research Libraries (CERL)